• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 9, 2021

    Life Is Strange | [NO SPOILERS] We'll always be together by TylerJaay

    Life Is Strange | [NO SPOILERS] We'll always be together by TylerJaay


    [NO SPOILERS] We'll always be together by TylerJaay

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 08:08 AM PST

    [NO SPOILERS] My love for LiS bleeds over into other games

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 09:27 PM PST

    [NO SPOILERS] I took an online quiz, I’ve never been more happy with the results.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 01:34 PM PST

    [NO SPOILERS] Here’s my Kate cosplay I honestly feel really comfortable in her.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:57 AM PST

    [All] Why we think a LiS sequel without depression overflow could work

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 06:05 AM PST

    I come from a point of view that Life is Strange is first and foremost a game about people and their relationships (not necessarily romantic; any relationships). The powers, the drama, the tragedy, the dying parents are just narrative devices that are used to make the story more attractive and (mostly the powers part) allow for making some interesting gameplay mechanics. In other words, they are not necessary for the story to exist and be good on its own, contrary to good characters with interesting chemistry, who are a must.

    And this is the strongest point of the franchise – it's hard to find another series that is as good at writing relationships, injecting moments of calm into the story, manipulating the player's emotions. However, the manipulation of emotions so far has always ended with a good 'ol tearjerker. Sometimes in the ending (LiS1, LiS2, Farewell; regardless of which ending it is, I believe none can be branded as truly happy or even devoid of sadness), sometimes after the credits (BtS), sometimes in another game (CS), but it's there, coming to get ya eventually. And the "good 'ol" is exactly the opinion which I wish to debunk here.

    Video games as a medium have evolved at an impressive pace since their beginnings just a few decades ago, but they still only rarely are accepted as something more than mindless fun and/or violence by the general public of non-gamers. And one of the reasons the situation stays that way is that games are not perceived as capable of telling mature stories (obviously there are exceptions, the most recent one I can think of being Disco Elysium). Life is Strange is one of the series that has the power to change that, and it does for some, but there are still elements of it that could be improved upon. Such as the endings. I believe the notion that an ending must be a culmination of everything, the spikiest spike of action and a hard-hitting train that should be "bigger" than all the story proceeding it, is, in a sense, immature. Especially if a story is supposed to be (at least partially) rooted in reality and mimic (except the powers, obviously) real life. The narrative doesn't have to end with a bang, especially if it's a depressive one. Most of us know what PLiSD is, I presume. What if it didn't have to exist? I'm not saying everything should drift in the direction of fairy tales now and provide a happy and cheery conclusion to everything… just maybe find some kind of balance? Not blow it out of proportion? Don't treat emotional devastation as some kind of goal? There are more stories to be told about life than just those with a tragic ending. Moreover, the story could be fairly dark and depressing earlier on, there is no need to always write it in a way that makes the events and themes darker and more depressing gradually. Skillfully resisting conventions is an craft on its own.

    A similar thing goes for the action, more specifically – some kind of investigation/mystery subplot. Thankfully LiS2 has resigned from introducing an element like that, but whereas it worked well in the first game, I think most of us can agree that the whole Sera subplot was the weakest part of BtS. Or at least one of the weakest. Even if you liked the game (I did) what do you consider the best part of it? Is it too far-fetched to say the relationship with Chloe and Rachel? And if you do agree, wouldn't you have preferred for the game not to have the "action" subplot as well as the scene after credits? If you answered yes, then I believe you can see my point about stuff like that not being integral and necessary for a game like LiS to work. Similarly, various polls have shown that most fans here have chosen the 3rd episode of the first game to be their favorite, and it is arguably the one that shows and explores the themes of relationships and clam the most.

    Obviously, this is only an opinion meant to answer some people's claims that LiS is about depression and that all future entries in the series must follow such a path, which I believe to be untrue. Feel free to express how much you agree or disagree with it as whole or just some fragments.

    Yes, I dunno why I am explaining how reddit is supposed to work either.

    That's it, ty for your attention.

    P.S. This post was inspired by a discussion with Gilpow, so if you dread its existence, you know who to blame

    submitted by /u/Spazzmodai
    [link] [comments]

    [NO SPOILERS] So I tried creating Rachel on Samsung AR ZONE.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 11:00 PM PST

    [NO SPOILERS] Help me buy the right version of LiS BtS.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 12:17 PM PST

    [ALL] So I found something interesting in BtS EP2, is this foreshadowing or did Deck Nine mess up here?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 02:09 AM PST

    [ALL] Recycle your favourite quotes here!

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 04:25 AM PST

    I love hearing these.

    "yes, I'm kinda devestated right now"

    Tell me your favourites

    submitted by /u/jostlespack
    [link] [comments]

    [NO SPOILERS] The tempest

    Posted: 09 Feb 2021 12:18 AM PST

    for a stage diorama project im making, where can I find pictures or videos of the tempest performance, front view, full body and where the audience doesnt cover their feet? chloe and rachel's part

    specifically their character is what i need lol

    submitted by /u/JSeagurll
    [link] [comments]

    [NO SPOILERS] Don't hate me more than I do.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 03:18 PM PST

    [S1] Life is Strange Choose Your Own Adventure.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 04:02 PM PST

    I made a Life is Strange fanfiction story where you can choose your own adventure. The story drastically changes based on one factor (if you go with Chloe/Warren)

    Chloe's story is a retelling of the original game and Warren's story is more of my fanfiction part.

    Play it if you want and please leave reviews and comments. I would really appreciate it

    https://chooseyourstory.com/story/life-is-strange~3a-blood-oath-

    submitted by /u/Acrobatic_Resolve_96
    [link] [comments]

    [ALL] My idea for a new Life is Strange game

    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 07:15 PM PST

    Let me start off by saying that I think Life is Strange 2 is just as good as the first, but I want another game with only Max,Chloe, and Rachel. My idea is that somehow someway Max is able to control her power well enough to go back the six or so months to when Rachel was still alive. I want Max to have an option in the game to save Rachel just like she did Chloe, this would definitely alter the ending of the first game but you could attempt to do a bigger reaction for saving Rachel. I don't know what that would be because the storm from Life is Strange 1 was a brilliant idea. I just like the idea of Rachel meeting Max and Chloe being confused as to why Max is not in Seattle and Max would have explain what is happening. I'm not sure if Square Enix wants the Rachel story to just end with her dying but I like the idea. I would like to know other people's opinions on this.

    submitted by /u/ZeroSto0l
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment