• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 11, 2021

    Life Is Strange | [NO SPOILERS] Seems familiarđź‘€

    Life Is Strange | [NO SPOILERS] Seems familiar��


    [NO SPOILERS] Seems familiar��

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 02:58 AM PDT

    [No Spoilers] Coincidence? I think not!

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 07:25 AM PDT

    [No Spoilers] You should understand this

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 05:46 AM PDT

    [TC] match made in heaven

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 06:12 AM PDT

    [NO SPOILERS] Alex portrait by Its_Troia

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 01:38 PM PDT

    [NO SPOILERS] Launch Update 2

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Once again, thank you for your patience during the launch of Life is Strange: True Colors, with a special thanks from the team for your continued help in identifying the issues some of you have faced.

    Whilst we're happy to see that some of you have had your issues resolved and are now busy playing as intended, we have a second update for you regarding the issues some of you are still experiencing, and how we are aiming to tackle them moving forward.

    Please see our first update posted yesterday if you haven't already, where we go over some recent patch and issue solutions not explicitly mentioned here that have been helping many users, including:

    · PlayStation: Unable to download Alex Outfit Pack or Life is Strange Hero Outfit Pack

    · PC: Outfit pack outfits cause crashes in DX12 with RTX turned on.

    · PC Visual Graphics Issues

    · Ultimate Edition Entitlement

    You can find the blog here: https://sqex.link/fjam

    And as a reminder, you can add bug reports on our Reddit thread, which we are continuously tracking: https://sqex.link/ez4m

    -

    We take your user experience very seriously, and as such are constantly monitoring your issue reports and looking into all issues, but for transparency, we thought you would appreciate a rough roadmap of how we are aiming to patch the game over the coming weeks:

    Launch Period Patch If all goes well, we're aiming to have these out mid-next week.

    Steam

    · Changing Outfits causing crashes

    Week 1 Patch If all goes well, we're aiming to get these out by the end of next week.

    PlayStation

    · PS5 Ray-Tracing Issue

    Xbox

    · Xbox Series X Ray-Tracing Issue

    Windows Store

    · Ray-Tracing Issue

    Steam

    · Save file Issues

    · Black Screen Issues

    · Aggressive Lighting issues

    Stadia

    · Pre-Order Outfit ownership issues

    Week 2 Patch

    If all goes well, we're working to have these out by the 24th of September.

    All Platforms

    · Chapter 2 – Jed T-Posing in Black Lantern

    · Chapter 2 – Alex T-Posing with Ryan

    PlayStation

    · PS4 – Screen Turning White

    Xbox

    · In-game links not functioning

    Currently Under Investigation

    PlayStation

    · PS5 Performance Issues

    · Can't Access Pre-Order Outfits

    · Chapter 2 – Eleanor Fear not triggering

    · PS5 – HDR Sliders Missing

    Xbox

    · Xbox Series X Performance Issues

    Steam

    · Rapid Screen Flickering

    · HDR non-functional

    · Chapter 3 incurring game crash

    Once again, these aren't the only issues we are looking into, just what we are confident to share with you today within an early progress roadmap for transparency. We'll be back with another update within the next few days to keep you apprised of progress and confirm these patch dates and fixes.

    We had hoped you would have a flawless first time experience with Life is Strange: True Colors, and for those of you who wish these fixes were coming sooner, we completely understand. Please know that all issues must be investigated, re-produced, and understood before fixes can be worked on (this is exactly why your reporting, information and feedback has been so helpful!)

    Once issues are fixed, they still need to be tested by our QA teams to make sure they aren't creating any unexpected new issues, then approved by the platforms, before finally bringing them to you, which is why everything unfortunately won't be fixed in a matter of days.

    Rest assured, we are working hard to improve your experience.

    The Life is Strange Team

    submitted by /u/JoshuaSquareEnix
    [link] [comments]

    [ALL] I have a plan to delay the inevitable post game depression.

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    I feel that I binged through True Colors too fast.
    I got a little bit into chapter 5 and I had to stop.
    All the emotional roller-coaster crammed into 2 days. It was rough.
    So, rather than finish the last hour and a half of the game, I'm going to restart it.
    And attempt to control myself
    and play only 1 chapter a week.
    In between I'll probably replay LiS1 and BtS, and LiS2, and Oxenfree to keep the emotional assault going.
    Wish me luck friends.

    Also, i know i tagged this as all spoilers, but please don't discuss the TC ending, thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Jxx
    [link] [comments]

    [All] Woah! The new Final Fantasy game looks amazing!!

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 10:07 AM PDT

    [NO SPOILERS] Today is a great day!

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 07:59 PM PDT

    [NO SPOILERS] Just got 100% achivements on Life is Strange True Colors!

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 09:25 AM PDT

    [TC] Really, you guys?

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 11:12 AM PDT

    75% of players forgave Jed? Like... how? He killed my dad, played part in my brother's death, lied to my face the whole time, AND tried to kill me! And when I come back limping and bleeding to reveal the truth-- the guy doesn't even fucking bat an eye. Any person with a shred of decency would've crumpled right there under the weight of their actions. But this psychopath, completely unflinching, went on to accuse ME and turn the whole town against me.

    He didn't even ask for Alex's forgiveness. He was a selfish monster to the end. Why the hell would Alex grant it to him??

    submitted by /u/fairymascot
    [link] [comments]

    [TC] Beginning & End

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 07:59 AM PDT

    [NO SPOILERS] Here are edited pictures to all LIS games hope you like it :)

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 01:02 AM PDT

    [No Spoilers] These came in the mail this morning

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 02:36 AM PDT

    [TC] A long rant about True Colors and my honest opinion

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 10:27 AM PDT

    After writing this I decided I should put it into sections, because you might probably not care about me ranting about certain aspects of the game for a few lines and might just want to read my opinion on something specific.

    1) Game length: Okay, first thing that I'm gonna mention is how short this game felt to me. I really tried to make it last by exploring and reading everything (I always do on my first playthrough on a lis game), and somehow I still managed to complete the game in less than 12 hours, which was... underwhelming. I already stated in another post weeks ago that I predicted this would be a short game since the beginning, but then I thought maybe it could be something between LiS and LiS2, and somehow my playthrough on before the storm was longer than on this game.

    If someone's curious about how much time each chapter took me, I noted it down:

    Chapter 1: 3h, Chapter 2: 2:35h, Chapter 3: 2:50h, Chapter 4: 1:10h, Chapter 5: 1:50h

    The first chapter being 3h made me think there were longer chapters ahead and then chapter 2 felt super short and a bit of a letdown, but then chapter 4 shocked me and just left me like "wait... that was it?" Honestly I know it's not that big of a matter if the story's good nonetheless, but I felt like there was lost potential for some stuff, like getting to know more some of the characters.

    2) Scenary and world exploration: Honestly this was one of my favorite things of the game, I loved the scenary through the game, with Alex's nightmare on Chapter 5 being my favorite. It felt so much better and more important than Max's nightmare on the first game, and it actually told me about Alex and Gabe's family past, which I adored. Oh, and I know this is very random but I have to say that I really miss the changing screen titles at the end of every episode, such a good and iconic LiS tradition and it's gone.

    3) Visuals/graphics: This is it for me, this is where I think the game peaked at, I honestly loved the graphics, the enviroment being this beautiful flowery and colorful town, the facial and motion capture being INSANELY good, and the lighting being also really pretty. Camera work could've used some retouching in a few scenes but overall it was pretty damn good too. Although I don't think that the first game's artstyle has been fully kept (to be fair it already started fading away from the hand painted texture style since BtS and LiS2 started getting rid of that) but I think this is also exactly how I envisioned a next gen LiS title, and I love it. The cartoonish hairs, with the this time more detailed faces and colorful world all together made a very nice and outstanding visual experience for me, sure it's not anything too crazy but it is an upgrade from past games.

    4) Characters and romance: I have to say that I really loved Alex as a character, she's really relatable and her being always so sarcastic while she's going through it made me just want to look at everything on the world around me, because I know Alex had something funny to say about it. I think this is really important and it was very well done. Also, the VA was soo goddamn good! It really brought to life lots of the characters. I felt like the writing for most characters was quite on point, (except for Jed's plot twist which was kinda predictable if you played the first LiS), but at the same time, like I mentioned I would've loved to get to know more both Ryan and Steph... you would think romancing one of the characters would make them open a bit more to you. Don't get me wrong, I love me some sweet kiss scene with my boy or my girl, but so much more could've gone into it, I feel like this is something where all the LiS games always fail at, with LiS being an absolute letdown on Warren and LiS2's romance basically lasting only one episode and then making a very little cameo on one of the endings. While this time the romancing was more fair for both options, it's basically just a kiss and a "pick who you stick with at the end". Aside from that, the other characters were pretty well written and I liked how some of my choices changed what was going on around me. (Even if it didn't matter so much at the end). And that takes me to the next point...

    5) Choices and consequences: Some of these choices you have to make aren't even so hard and you can clearly tell when something's right and not. While past games had me thinking about some of my choices for a good time and would even make me get a break from the screen for a few minutes to actually think it off, I found myself thinking it was quite easy to get through this time. I'm mad about this because they were really promoting the game with this whole "choices matter" marketing going on but... do they really? After everything it ends playing out the same, which was very disappointing and also leads me to the next point.

    6) Plot and endings: I'm gonna take on a risky topic here, but Dontnod are better than Deck Nine at writing plots. Deck Nine are better writing characters but they seem to struggle making choice-based plots, which for me is the essence of a LiS game. Max and Chloe's story ending, although binary, could end in two drastically different ways, and then Sean and Daniel's story could end very differently too, with the fact that the choices you made in-game actually affected the outcome of both the end choices. Meanwhile in TC it basically ended the same with a few variations, and then an extra short scene that depends on whether I choose to stay or not in Haven (which was a really dumb choice to make btw). Fun fact: when I finished the game I thought "oh, so I got the good ending, I wonder what more there is" but then there was basically nothing, and it saddened me, because I was expecting more.

    TLDR: The game felt short to me, and although I really loved the visuals and some of the characters, the plot and endings left me with mixed feelings.

    PS: I know it looks like I'm saying the game is bad, It's not, I just expect more from a main LiS game with a new story and characters, but I still think it's great, specially for newcomers to the series probably. Right now my ranking is LiS> LiS2>TC>BtS. (I like all the games tho)

    submitted by /u/littlemarshal
    [link] [comments]

    [TC] True Colors is a Magnificent Entry in the Franchise

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 10:51 AM PDT

    I played Life is Strange: True Colors almost immediately after I got off work on Thursday. It's been a while since I was this excited to sit down and get into a game, so much so that I also bought a physical copy for PS5 in addition to the pre-order I had for Steam. Going in, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I pretty much ignored a majority of trailers and such for the game, outside of the initial trailer and the short gameplay they showed at E3.

    By the time those credits rolled, I felt this feeling inside of me. A feeling that I hadn't felt since 2015 when I first played the original game. True Colors is flawed in some areas. Yeah, it could have been a little bit longer too. But in my opinion, it's about as flawed as the original. Which means the pros of the game far outweigh the nitpicks I have with it.

    Every other game in the franchise is primarily about the non-player character. Life is Strange is about Chloe and Max's relationship with her, about how much Chloe comes to mean to her. Life is Strange: Before the Storm is about Rachel and how Chloe comes to latch onto her in the wake of William's death and Max's absence. Life is Strange 2 is about Daniel and how Sean's influence greatly impacts his behavior. While every game has a great protagonist, they're often playing second banana in terms of writing to the other primary character. Not that that's a bad thing, but things like not knowing anything specific about Max's past or character directly, all of it is stuff we have to dissect from moments in the game.

    Life is Strange: True Colors is not about Ryan or Steph. It's about Alex Chen. True to the core, the entire game chooses to focus primarily on Alex and her personal problems with her emotions. To me, her ability of Empathy is a metaphor for emotional dysregulation disorder. And the fact that the game focuses so much on that makes me a happy camper.

    And the characters in this game? Equally wonderful. Every major player in Haven Springs has their own story going on, in addition to unnamed characters who have their own challenges. In a way, this is a true evolution of the original Life is Strange game. However, this time the game gives you options in order to do what you want before progressing the story. The game wants you to confront Mac on the bridge? You don't have to until you visit Steph at the record store or you see how Charlotte is doing at the dispensary. Maybe you just want to sit down and take a moment by the lake. You're allowed a bit more freedom than in other Life is Strange games, and just that small amount offers so much more in turning Haven Springs from a location into what feels like a true community. From the couple who are too afraid to tell the other how they feel to the new owner of the diner having fears about opening. The town feels like a town. And its inhabitants feel like real people, with lives going on and evolving through the story. Whether it be learning more about Duckie, culminating in why he feels horrible at the Spring Festival time, or seeing Eleanor's condition decline and whether or not to tell Riley.

    But at the core of everything is Alex, and she is what makes the game shine above all else. She is definitely the most well characterized of the franchise's protagonists. And like all of the other games, the story simply exists to further the character examination. I've seen a lot of people saying the story is badly written, but to me it's probably the best of the four games. Life is Strange's story is okay, but the story is not the point of the game. The game's story only exists to get Max and Chloe close. Before the Storm's story is just... I don't need to say much about it. It's just not very good. Life is Strange 2's story is one of the big reasons the game doesn't work for me.

    The story in True Colors is entirely tied to Alex and her loss of Gabe. Which in turn is related to her own emotional problems. You might wonder why I say I see it as a metaphor for emotional dysregulation disorder. As someone who has it, I can recognize a lot of the behaviors as similar. Even in the final chapter, the Gabe within Alex's memories tells her that she developed her powers as time passed and she became an older teenager. After years of abuse, injustice, and abandonment by her father and Gabe she developed this power that showed itself through total emotional instability. Emotions would run high and she would lash out emotionally or spiral quickly before thinking too hard about it, resulting in any interpersonal relationships she had deteriorating very quickly. You can tell that from her texts in Chapter 1. You can see how she has only one major relationship intact when she leaves for Haven Springs, while the rest have fallen completely apart. And that one major relationship seems to be the one that Alex really desperately hides her emotional issues from. But in addition to feeling too much, it makes her more empathetic to the plights of others. The ability to notice when someone isn't feeling right, but is hiding it. Because when you do the same thing so perfectly, you can tell when a person who doesn't do it regularly is hiding something.

    To me, the game is about finding a place to belong. To find a home where you can sit down and realize you don't have to keep running. The fact that the final choice in the game is to stay in or leave Haven Springs is not a super emotionally devastating choice like the first game's. Rather it's this natural conclusion to Alex's story. Is she ready to try starting a home? Or is she going to keep moving around like always? Are the horrors she faced in Haven Springs too much for her? Or are the people who defended her worth trying for? The fact that in Haven Springs is the first time she is able to use her powers to feel just pure joy is important for that fact.

    Alex is an abuse victim. She's a victim of a cruel system where she was constantly passed over for simply having a depressing past. In a way, this only furthers the feelings of abandonment. A poor girl who can't figure out why she wasn't good enough for all those parents. To watch how a child was unfairly being forced to hold together a deteriorating family. How, despite the good intentions of her dying mother, this helped to break Alex down. She grows up alone, even now a 21 year old clinging onto her Shu-Shu, the only one who hasn't abandoned her yet. After Gabe's death, she wonders what the point of even being here is. In a way, she feels like an outsider at the wake of her own older brother. She becomes an intruder in the lives of all these people she doesn't know. Despite that, they offer her a home.

    In some instances, we see that Alex's emotional problems still hit others hard. If you choose to take Charlotte's anger, Alex openly lashes out after hearing Gabe's call. It's only for a moment, but that's how a spike in emotion feels in real life to someone like me. You'll suddenly feel something trigger an emotion and you lash out at people who don't deserve it. Alex does that, and destroys the "Foosball Champion" trophy in her anger. She's angry at the idea Typhon might get clean away with murdering her brother. And Steph reacts how most do. She angrily storms out.

    "I don't need to take this."

    It's a very realistic reaction from both of them, and the only way Alex can deal with it is by focusing her attention elsewhere. She can apologize for her actions, but in the end it's up to the other person to understand whether or not the person was malicious. In this example, Steph apologizes to Alex. Alex was hurting and she lashed out, and Steph wasn't there for her despite the fact Alex has been there for her since they day they met. And in the end, Alex is given control of her past. Her past still affects her, but her empathy is even more now. The wrongs giving unto her? They make her more empathetic than she was before. Despite the fact that Jed shot at, intending to kill Alex? She was willing to be empathetic. To understand that the horror of that tragedy and his horrible mistake haunted him. To the point where he rewrote the events in his head. That the decision was the only way to save some of his men. And Alex understood that. In order to make herself seem like less of a monster or freak, Alex rewrote the horrors of her past to justify what happened was okay and normal. And having to face all of it, to have her adult self have to feel the emotions of a sad 10 year old losing her mother, a scared 11 year old watching her family fall apart, and an angry 17 year old who can't understand why no one wants hers is a great way to have her ultimately have empathy for Jed. To have the ability to forgive him for his actions. And that forgiveness drives Jed to turn himself in. It drives him to do the right thing.

    Honestly, I could write so much more about True Colors. I probably will write an in-depth analysis of the game, but that will require more playthroughs to grasp everything a lot better. As I sat there listening to the credits, watching them roll down the screen, I felt something. I felt something I hadn't felt since the original Life is Strange back in 2015. And as I sat there, I teared up a little. In the same way I needed Life is Strange all those years ago? I needed True Colors now. It hit me in a way not a lot of games have. Expect me to write a whole lot more on the game because I still have so much more to say.

    submitted by /u/BeMoreChillFan
    [link] [comments]

    [TC] The most unrealistic thing about True Colors I found

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 08:52 AM PDT

    The most unrealistic thing about this game is that Alex was able to just walk and spin around with a full-on guitar strapped to her back and not fear banging the headstock on every other doorway.

    I kid, if that's not obvious.

    submitted by /u/stuartandjeremy
    [link] [comments]

    [TC] My overall thoughts on the Life is Strange: True Colors

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 10:58 AM PDT

    So I have decided to write a little piece on what I thought about True Colors - don't know why, not usually the type for lengthy reviews, but it is true that Life is Strange games hold a special place in my heart so I was positively excited about this game and I made a whole weekend out of it.

    First of all, albeit excited, I was a bit sceptical about the game coming in. I am in the evident minority of people who liked Life is Strange 2 (after a while and especially on second playthrough, I just came to appreciate the game so much) and didn't care much for Life is Strange: Before the Storm (even though I cannot take away some great atmospheric moments, amazing soundtrack and intriguing premise, the game felt incomplete and bit of a "fan-service" at times), so hearing that Dontnod is no longer part of Life is Strange was a bit of a red flag for me. I was scared, that the game would be a reaction to the hate that LiS 2 received and the sudden lack of marketing in regards to the second instalment amplified my worries - it almost felt like the goal was to make the second game disappear and have people return to what they liked the most, meaning the first game. That in itself is not necessarily a bad idea, but combined with the switch to small town setting, marketing like "pick who you can romance" and "solve the mystery", everything felt like the creators were choosing the safe route. Like they wanted to find a recipe on what works to people in exchange of brave creativity that I came to appreciate with the second game. I do believe, that I was wrong in that regard.

    The first "hint" of the game not necessarily being the fan-service I was afraid it would be was basically the moment I clicked "New Game". At first, I was disappointed that nothing like "How did you LiS or LiS 2 playthrough end?". This meant that we are very unlikely to see many *hard* references of previous games like we did in chapter 1 and 4 of LiS 2, but in the end... I do believe, although I'm really hesitant to say this, that this was the right move. There were lot of similarities with the first game - small town setting; small amount of people you get to know, therefore focusing mainly on character development; the over hanging mystery that needs solving; the "shock" of the villain being a close authority figure - but it still felt, at least to me it did, like it's own story. Naturally there were instances of the "Oh, I remember this!" trope, but nothing extremely on the nose like the LiS chapter 4 cameo or sudden LiS soundtrack creeping in, so the game felt isolated, yet similar at the same time, so the player can get what they wanted, yet have the feeling that they are experiencing a new thing.

    I have to admit that I loved the story telling potential of the power from the moment it was released - it felt extremely cool in terms of moving the story forward and... I gotta say, for me it delivered. Yes, there were some weird times where I feel like the power was inconsistent and some parts would have been solved with correct usage of said power, but still, there were some great moments that could have happened only with said power. Scenes with Charlotte and Eleanor were really raw and powerful and it felt... almost too real. No weird "what women want (2000)" trope with strange convenient thoughts coming to surface at the right time so the MC can use it to their advantage, but heavy, hard to deal with emotions that a person feels. Terrible ones that you don't want anyone to know about, but that necessarily have to creep in in bad situations.

    Let's go over the setting and and characters as well next. As I said, I was a bit worried at first - I didn't like the LiS 2 setting of constantly moving, because it took away the part that I liked about first game, the character development. But I understood eventually, that it was a deliberate action to show how unfair life could be for the boys who faced such hardship. Although I wanted the game to return to its roots in this regard, I was also scared that it won't be handled well, but I gotta say... I kind of loved how it turned out. In the first one, I chose the Bae ending, because apart from Chloe, Kate and maybe few others, I really didn't feel that much for people who were left standing, but here I got really invested. Characters were very well done, each with their own way of dealing with problems, own things they got going and it never felt like the MC was some kind of "magic glue" that kept everything from collapsing, but more like a drop in the ocean that tried to ripple just a little bit of good into the ocean, if possible.

    Romance choices felt... I don't know, maybe I have to say that those were a bit of a weak point in this? I appreciated the fact that I came into the game full "Oh, Steph, all the way, no other option here" and was like "Ryan is pretty cool honestly", which was a nice change from Max having literal nightmares about Warren in LiS 1, but they felt... a bit weird. I don't know how to describe it, there was a chemistry I believe, yet it felt somehow like someone forcing it to the game they know has that as a part of it. Speaking of which, I felt very similarly about "zen" moments, which I used to appreciate immensely in previous instalments - parts like Sean sharing a smoke with his mother in LiS 2 felt so genuine, in here, even though I still enjoyed them from time to time, it felt kind of... forced, I don't know why.

    Atmosphere was beautiful, both in regards to the graphics department and soundtrack. I can't say I had that "I wish I could just live in this moment forever" moment, that I had with certain soundtrack moments in previous instalments, but it still didn't really feel off. All in all, good job in this regard.

    I have to say, I enjoyed my experience playing this game. It felt a lot different, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I was shook playing LiS 1 and LiS 2. This game didn't necessarily "shake" me the way the other two did, but there were moments I was really moved. There were moments I felt like I had a pit in my stomach. There were moment I came to appreciate the beauty around and there were moment I didn't want to finish the game, because I didn't want it all to be over. With all previous instalments I came back to the game and felt a bit differently about it, but with the first playthrough in this one, I have to say, it did indeed feel great to play it and it exceeded my expectations (albeit I was more "safely" excited for this one than anything)

    Guess what I'm trying to say is... Well done Deck Nine. You managed to make a story that was your own, yet felt familiar. I was afraid at first that you are going to try and go the "safe" route of luring fans of the first game back with similar tropes, but the game really did feel like your own story and I have to say, it was a great one to be part of. Thank You

    Extremely sorry for the long post, I just felt like I want to write this.

    submitted by /u/flonc
    [link] [comments]

    [ALL] Rating True Colors on the Life is Strange Trope-o-meter (spoilers galore)

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 08:01 AM PDT

    Let's see how the new entry measure up by looking at what makes Life is Strange what it is:

    (also, in case it is not clear, this is largely for laughs. Just because I give negative points for something doesn't mean I didn't love it.)

    Eye-wateringly Beautiful: Do I even have to say it? This one is the prettiest yet, and not just the environments. What this game manages to accomplish with facial acting is a major artistic accomplishment. If the remakes look even a third this good I'll be very happy. +20 Life is Strange points.

    Mysterious Mystery is Mysterious: With the original, we didn't know what we were walking into. All sorts of wacky supernatural shenanigans were on the table, and speculation between chapters ran pretty wild. I kind of miss that, to be honest. Now we know to expect that there won't be anything supernatural beyond the protagonist or 2ndary protagonists' own powers. This is an area I feel Tell Me Why really shines, because it managed to make me believe there were other scary things out there, and I feel that would have been a useful addition to Alex's story. The implication that Ethan's monster might be real. That Alex's use of her power had awoken some sort of undying rage from the miners who died. Instead, we know we're getting a reasonably grounded mining company related answer, and then we do. Despite a few great twists, it doesn't quite rise to on par with the original. But that's okay. Nothing does. This is still a good example of the breed. +16 Life is Strange points.

    Teenaged Angst: Alex is Angsty as hell, but she's an adult. I'm giving her two points because we do flash back to some of her teenaged years, and we get some journal entries referencing some (probably) teenage encounters, but in general a low score in this category. +2 Life is Strange points.

    Trusted Authority Figure Does a Heel Turn: After Mark Jefferson, we'd be fools to trust another authority figure in a LiS game ever again. And then we get similar turns from Rachel's dad and the dude in Tell me Why (which, yes, I count) but I think Jed is one of the better ones. And not any worse for being very strongly foreshadowed. It doesn't count as predictable if they're giving you the hints on purpose. +25 Life is Strange points.

    Weighty Choices: All choice-based games pull a bit of a conjuring trick because there's only so much player choice can really change the plot, but the good ones make you think it can, or at least make you care enough about the characters to get invested in the results of their choices. I think if we're being honest, this has gone downhill since the original, and True Colors is a little bit of a mixed bag here. It does at least make things interesting by not always having obvious outcomes to the choices, and most of your choices are about Alex's emotional responses, which fits the theming. +5 Life is Strange points.

    Kiss and Tell: While Steph and Alex are cute together, and I liked Ryan a lot more than I expected, the romance angle in this one is a little undercooked. It felt like Steph was always running off and I never got to spend any real time with her, or have a proper conversation tree like Max and Chloe or Chloe and Rachel do during those games' best scenes. I feel like I even got to know Cassidy better and she only really has one chapter. What's here is good, but it left me wanting more. +5 Life is Strange points.

    Flirting in Costume: BTS had its incredible Tempest scene, Farewell has Max and Chloe in pirate garb tiptoeing around their real feelings, and TC scores big with the LARP sequence where you can rock Steph's world. I have to withhold some points since the pay-off to this flirting is held off for so long after such a great scene, but still a good showing. +10 Life is Strange points.

    Asshole with a Heart: Mac joins a great roster of Life is Strange minor antagonists who turn out to be somewhat sympathetic. Unfortunately, I think this was maybe a little too obvious too early, and it never felt as tempting or satisfying to be a bitch to him as it does to Victoria or Nathan. Decent observance of form, but the follow-through needs work. +3 Life is Strange points.

    Talking to Your Dead Dad in a Car: BTS and LiS2 establish a clear pattern here. You talk to your dead dad in a car. It's a Life is Strange tradition. Alex talks to her dead dad in flashbacks, and she tries to make up for it by talking to dead Gabe on the roof at the end, but there's not even a car scene at all. -5 Life is Strange points.

    Heartbreaking Ending: While I really loved the ending I got, I have to dock points here. Clear resolutions? Happily ever after? No no no. This is the series that pulled the darkroom ending in BTS. That had people debating for years exactly how many innocent people had to die to keep their favorite character alive. Alex fulfilled and happy with her romantic partner by her side is totally off-brand! -30 Life is Strange points.

    So toting it all up, True Colors gets a score of 50 Life is Strange points. Which means absolutely nothing because I just made this ranking system up right now. Horray!

    What do you think? Would you rate it higher, lower? Any good tropes I missed?

    submitted by /u/FortressCaulfield
    [link] [comments]

    [TC E2] hmmm, interesting title

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 03:05 AM PDT

    [NO SPOILERS] Alexandra Chen by Paularized on Instagram

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 05:22 PM PDT

    [NO SPOILERS] I love you all and the community we have here

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 02:22 AM PDT

    I don't want to mine karma or anything, but I just wanted to say that I really love you, stranger on the other side of the Internet, and the LiS community we can all create here. We have our ship wars and our disagreements and different best's and favourites but from what I've experienced, very often people will just agree to disagree. We all love the same series and thats the common ground to connect with each other.

    True Colors Premiere for me wouldn't be the same without all you here. LiS wouldn't be the same without artists and writers here. My enjoyment of the series wouldn't be the same without each and every person here.

    So, thanks for being here. I wish you all the best and even though we'll probably never meet, you make my life better overall and I'm grateful.

    submitted by /u/merci_ann
    [link] [comments]

    [NO SPOILERS] Good mood Alex by MarvZwart

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 06:48 PM PDT

    [TC] discussion about one of the endings

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 09:56 AM PDT

    Ummm, so i was a bit bummed by one of the endings being empty feeling. So in season 1 we know 1 ending is more in depth than the other, so I don't know if they did this on purpose but they did that again this season.

    I was kind of bummed when picking the ending to stay in haven WITH steph, it just ends with you ALONE on the dock then walking back into town.

    Its a quick lonely ending for staying with the one you love. I get that gabe goes into detail what it could be like but i was hoping to get a snippet or two of what it was actually like after picking to stay.

    The ending where you leave with steph had a bit more to it and you were actually with her. Again, it just seems off to pick a life to stay with steph then immediately get shown without her and then boom ends.

    It's just the game was amazing and to kind of end it like that seems odd to me.

    Curious about what others might think

    submitted by /u/dynozombie
    [link] [comments]

    [TC] i am so unbelievably content

    Posted: 11 Sep 2021 11:42 AM PDT

    this is not a big fancy post or anything but i still can't get over how adorable steph was in this game. it feels so nice to see actual adults pining and crushing like this. i can't believe i got to grow up with this series and feel this closely represented in such a beautiful way this time around too. i spent my teenagehood feeling like i was never going to get here and there was nothing to look forward to past a certain point. i love you sooo much deck 9. thank you thank you thank you. i'll never forget this. hopefully i'll write more in depth when i feel up to it, i haven't been this moved in so fucking long and it's way overdue at this point from me.

    submitted by /u/wastednun
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment